PLAN Sac Valley Mentoring Program
Planning + Leadership + Advancement + Networking
for the next generation
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
PLAN Sac Valley is a dynamic and challenging one-on-one and group mentoring forum for personal and professional growth and development. The program matches planners (mentees) just starting their careers with established technical and policy planning professionals (mentors) that will share their invaluable knowledge and experience to help mentees:
- Build an extended network of peers and professionals that will serve as a valuable resource during and after the mentoring program.
- Develop new technical and professional skills and increase your knowledge of planning policy.
- Gain greater knowledge of the planning profession and how to position and market yourself for success.
- Learn how to navigate the complexities of the planning profession and how to interact with a variety of other related stakeholders and professions.
- Understand the resources available to increase your professional effectiveness.
The program curriculum addresses topics such as:
- The politics and nuances of public, private, and nonprofit sector planning
- Planning into the future
- Tips for your professional toolkit
- Résumé and interview skill building
- Discovering your strengths
- Planning for the next steps in your career
The 9-month PLAN program (October 2017 – June 2018) also integrates participants with other Sac Valley Section and YPG events, including the holiday party and being recognized at the Section Awards Night program.
Click here for past PLAN classes.
The applications for the 2017-18 PLAN program are now closed.
The PLAN Steering Committee is here to ensure the program meets your needs and provides an exceptional experience. Steering Committee members are:
Kate Rose, County of Sacramento (Chair)
Jenny Welch, Housing California
Tricia Stevens, AICP, Planning Consultant
Emily Alice Gerhart, Fehr and Peers
Julia Lave Johnston, Institute for Local Government
Eric Will, Laurin Associates
Jimmy Fong, Fehr and Peers
Matt Hertel, AICP, AECOM
Dillon Miner, Caltrans
The mission of PLAN Sac Valley is to provide the next generation of professional planners a dynamic and challenging one-on-one and group mentoring forum for personal and professional growth and advancement. PLAN is dedicated to providing young planners new technical insight into planning and other related fields, professional development tips, leadership skills, networking strategies, exposure to community service, and so much more. Participants with PLAN Sac Valley gain a greater knowledge of the professional planning sphere and build an extended network of peers and mentors that serve as a priceless resource during and beyond the program experience.